Wednesday, July 24, 2013

A paperweight from Mr Logan's desk


Readers of this blog will be familiar with the career of J.W. Logan, railway contractor, Liberal MP for Harborough 1891-1904 and 1910-16, and instigator of a mass brawl on the floor of the House of Commons.

A few weeks ago someone bought this simple paperweight, cut from marble in the shape of a book, in an antique shop in Cornwall. He looked up J.W, Logan on the web and, inevitably, found this blog. He sent me a photograph of his find and we swapped a couple of emails.

Then one day a heavy little parcel came through my door and I found that, in an act of great kindness, the paperweight had been sent to me.

Its original finder was Roger Street, an expert on the prehistory of the bicycle. The very least I can do is thank him here and commend his website to all my readers.

No comments: